Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One Step Closer...

Well I'm a slacker, huh? Foxy and I went and got our marriage license almost a whole month ago and I never told you guys!!


It actually completely fascinates me how this whole process works. In Maryland, you need to apply for and get your license in the county that you are getting married in - so for us, it was Harford County. The license is also good for an astounding 6 months.. we could have done this ages ago!! Anyway, it was kind of amusing because we didn't even need to show our ID's or any other proof of identification - we just shared our information verbally, gave them our credit card, and walked out with a license in under 10 minutes. Boom.

Now, for whatever reason, I was under the presumption that, on our wedding day, Foxy and I would need to sign the license along with our officiant and one or two witnesses. This was further cemented into my brain at my mom's wedding in New York almost two years ago, when exactly that happened.

Foxy Mama, her hubs, me, and my uncle signing the license
Photos by Ellen Silverman

However, upon further inspection of our marriage license, Foxy and I noticed that only our officiant - the fabulous Miss Emily - is supposed to sign it.


That's it. Not even us, much less a witness or two. Which is a little sad, since I kind of love the pictures of people signing it (like above), and we won't have a chance to do that. Foxy Mama did suggest getting a "fancy" certificate (as opposed to an actual license) that we could all sign and have as a sort-of keepsake (it's nothing official), so that might be an option.

Image via Style Unveiled

We shall see! Regardless.. we are now officially able to get hitched. Huzzah!

How far in advance did you get your marriage license? Who all gets to sign it?

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

We didn't sign ours either! I was sad! HAHA