Waaaay back when, I found this cute little penguin cake topper that I decided I just had to have, mostly because they were just too cute to pass up. That, and they were coincidentally in our wedding colors.
Image via Etsy shop Kikuike
Then, right after I started blogging for Weddingbee, I found this insanely adorable topper and was instantly smitten.
Image via Etsy shop Kikuike
However, as badly as I wanted to purchase either one of them right away, I resisted. Both are above the $100 mark, and I wasn't sure I could justify spending that much on a cake topper. I know that either one would eventually double as a little house decor in the future, but it still felt like a lot money, especially so early on in the planning process.
So I let it drift from my mind for a while, but eventually came back to the idea a few months ago. I decided to poke around Etsy some more, where I found these little beauties.
Image via Etsy seller Bunny With A Tool Belt
I die. They're so simple yet elegant yet rustic and adorable.
Again, I waited. While not as expensive as the clay cake toppers, these guys are still not cheap and there has just been so much else that has needed to be purchased and paid for lately. Could I really justify it?
I sat on it some more, then had a random stroke of pure genius (okay that's a lie.. I was inspired by my lady peachplum09). A while back, I randomly purchased two little fox salt and pepper shakers off of eBay for $3.50. I didn't have a use for them whatsoever, but I mean.. why wouldn't I buy them for $3.50?
In an effort to save some dough and to actually find a use for these guys, I got my scissors and glue gun out and got to work trying to transform them into something resembling a bride and groom. Worst case scenario, if I effed it up or didn't like how it looked.. they were $3.50. Really not a big deal.
A few hours later (yes, it takes me a while), I had this!
Don't worry, I checked with Foxy.. he's cool sporting a flower. Think of it as a centered boutonniere.
I made the hat out of stiff felt that I cut and glued together, and the veil out of some tulle I had lying around (I still don't know why I had that tulle in the first place) and little pink beads. I also added some lashes to make the bride a little more feminine! I think the whole thing came out to about $7 total, and doesn't look too shabby for a relatively impromptu DIY project!
Were you able to repurpose anything to make it wedding related?



2 comments:
awwwwww they're so cute! You really did a good job jazzing them up!
Before bee did you guys call each other foxy or did this recently all happen?
These are adorable! SO CUTE!!!
Post a Comment