Monday, May 7, 2012

Because you can never have enough cake.

If you recall, I just so happen to be venue twins with the fabulous Mrs. Lox. I absolutely loved reading her wedding planning journey and her recaps so far.. it's been like my own little insider's guide to the Vandiver! Over the last few months, she and I have shared stories and details about our respective weddings; she has also been so awesome with giving me little tips here and there based on lessons learned and what worked for her and what didn't. One of the most unique pieces of advice I've gotten from her so far was to get a trial top tier of our wedding cake made.

I mentioned it previously, but our cake is included in our cost for our venue and is contracted out to a wonderful little shop called Desserts by Rita. Ergo, we both also have the same vendor for our cake.

About a year ago now, Mrs. Lox wrote about her own adventures in doing getting a trial top tier made (read it here!), and was so, so thankful that she included this extra step before the wedding. It wasn't that the cake was decorated poorly, just that her vision and inspiration didn't come across the way she had hoped it would. She worked with the shop and came up with a new idea that they both felt extra confident in, and avoided a serious potential cake disaster by ordering that trial top tier. (I mean.. she already had one cake disaster a while back.. no need to repeat that!) And.. I mean.. she got to purchase, take home, and eat the cake. And that cake is freaking delicious.

Needless to say, Foxy and I decided to go this route as well. I didn't think that our design would be too much of a problem since it's rather basic, but you never know. Rewinding back for a hot minute, I was going for a blend of fondant petals and textured icing.

Image on left via My Sweet and Saucy | Photo by Gabriel Ryan Photography
Image on right via Style Me Pretty | Photo by KT Merry

Lo and behold, when we showed up at the cake shop last week, I wasn't just happy.. I was thrilled with what I saw.



They seriously hit the nail on the head. I have no idea how they got the texture they did by using buttercream, but it's fabulous.

So naturally, we needed to dive into that beauty. I mean hi, it's cake.


We also thought it'd be fun to practice cutting it, which was a bit scary at first.

Welcome to one of the most unattractive pictures of me in life. I was legit terrified.

But with a little help from Em (and establishing that the bride holds the knife), I think we figured it out.


I'm still terrified.

And yes, the cake was scrumdiddliumptious.

Would you get a trial top tier of your wedding cake made? Has anyone experienced a wedding cake disaster of some sort?

1 comment:

Jemima Kickypants said...

That is possibly the funniest picture ever actually. Never be embarrassed of what you look like terrified while your honey is doing something ridiculous. Welcome to the rest of your life!! Haha. Good call on the practice before the wedding. I never thought about that! Your cake looks perfect! Congrats and good luck!!