Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Friendymoon

Some might say honeymoon. We say post-wedding vacation, aka Friendymoon. But we'll get to that.

Mum has been the word on our potential honeymoon up until this point - I wish I could say it was a secret or a surprise, but really, we just had no darn clue what we were going to or even could do. Due to monetary restrictions, we figured we would need to keep it "local" - meaning, within the US. Now, this does not necessarily mean cheaper, as I have realized. Especially when you live in DC and decide that your top honeymoon destination is San Francisco/Napa & Sonoma Valley area. Those plane tickets are rarely cheap. Especially not during peak season. Shocker.

We decided that, if funds weren't going to allow us to travel out west, a good back up plan might be to do a bed and breakfast tour of the New England/Maine area; if we can't have wine, we'd be ok with lobster (and wine). We also decided not to think much about it until closer to the wedding, maybe three or four months out... which would be now.

Before I go much further, I also must share with you that I'm a big lover of all things beach, water, and warm. Last April, brideslady G and I went to Playa del Carmen, Mexico with our mutual friend Bear and it was the best. trip. ever. We've always wanted to go back, but timing hasn't been right.

Warning: gratuitous beachy BFF photo ahead:

Personal photo | Photo by Adrian Ibarra

Which brings us up to present day. Brideslady G came over to help with some wedding related DIY goodness, when she tells me her and her boyfriend bought tickets to go back to Mexico with Bear and his boyfriend, a fellow housemate, and G's cousin. Apparently they found a pimpin' four floor, 12 person penthouse in Playa that would cost each person about $300 for the week. The kicker? They are leaving a mere three days after mine and Foxy's wedding.

Do you see where this is going? You should. Because, after much consideration (like owing dumb amounts of taxes due to me being an independent contractor)..

Personal photo

..we decided that we will be joining in on the Mexico fun with everyone!! We will be responsible for plane tickets, our extremely minimal pay for the penthouse, some money towards food and alcohol for the week, then whatever extra for fun activities and souvenirs and such. I'm estimating no more than $2000 for a week of sand, sun, and absolute magic. Not bad. And oddly cheaper than going to California.

Thus, you now have the reason for dubbing this our post-wedding vacation, aka Friendymoon. Will we be with our friends? Yes. Will there be enough privacy for us should we want it? Yes. We don't need to do everything with our friends, which has been agreed upon by all parties involved. We still plan on one day taking an "official" honeymoon to Ireland or some other fun country, but for now, we'll be living it up in the sun with good friends and guaranteed good times. It couldn't be more perfect, and I'm pee-in-your-pants excited.

I mean, we have our own private rooftop jacuzzi. Just look.










All images via Maison Mauresque

Yep. Pimpin'.

Are you having an atypical honeymoon? Would you ever consider going with your friends if the deal was too good to pass up?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That place is gorgeous! My cousin went on her honeymoon with a group of friends, they went on a cruise and had a BLAST. :D

Jemima Kickypants said...

Just a heads up, there's fantastic wine in New York on Long Island. I personally prefer it to Cali wine and the trip is so much more budget-friendly without feeling like you're a cheap person who couldn't afford Napa. There's 42 vineyards on LI and some fantastic B&Bs and you can hop on a train to get to NY, might have to rent a car past that, but, still cheaper than a flight to Cali. If you go around August or September, the grapes are just about to be picked and the weather is SPECTACULAR. Just a heads up if you want a romantic trip with JUST the new hubby.

Sara said...

amazing!!!! This place is a steal!! You're going to have a wonderful time - I would totally do it, esp since everyone agreed that some private one on one couple time is part of the agenda

Hannah said...

I think its your honeymoon if your friends are there! We made tons of friends on ours and ended up doing a lot of our day trips with people we met while traveling, so I can imagine it would be perfect to have your friends along! You can always go out on a day trip for just the two of you, and you get your own room so I can't see why this wouldn't be the best of ideas!

And what a steal and great idea and I'm so glad you convinced him to say yes!

eliz said...

WOW now that is a place to go on a vacation...:-)