Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Final Say on Florals

Remember how much I love-love-looooved the glamelia style bouquet a while back? Not much has changed - I still love them - but I must admit that ultimately, I will not be sporting one on our wedding day. In the end, I decided against using fake petals or flowers of any kind, and that a real version was just out of the budget.

The important part about those glamelias, though, is that they are what sparked my interest in wedding flowers in general. Before I discovered their beauty, I really didn't care about it either way. Flowers seemed like an extra expense, something we didn't need, something that could be easily replaced by candles or bamboo or something of the sort. Which I still think they can be.. but all of a sudden, I didn't want flower replacements at our wedding; I wanted actual, fresh, living flowers. Scratch that. Needed them. Thus began my wedding flower pinning spree.


Then I found it.. my bouquet. The creme de la creme of florals. The photo that made me the second most excited about wedding flowers.


I can't even deal. I'm obsessed. Just.. obsessed.

And so, my vision was formed into having a blend of garden and wild flowers - delicate yet unstructured arrangements. Over the past year or so, I've created a vision of exactly what I want at our wedding floral wise, and after our meeting with the florist a few weeks ago? I couldn't be happier. We'll still be keeping the florals to minimum due to budget restrictions, but I think the few we will have will blend with our venue and our scheme just perfectly!

The guidelines for my bouquet were as follows: as close as possible to the picture above - think peonies, garden roses, feverfew, Queen Ann's lace, etc. The one negative is that our florist couldn't quite figure out what the big white flower in the center of the bouquet was, so we'll be "replacing" it with some alstroemeria or possibly a football mum.

Altroemeria via Digging Dog Nursery

Football Mum via Whole Blossoms

The bridesladies will be sporting baby's breath bouquets (I got Foxy to concede on that one), with, as I so specifically requested, "the biggest bulb possible". The keywords here would be "overtime baby's breath".


As for Foxy and the men, they will be sporting some more alstromeria and baby's breath.

Alstroemeria boutonniere via Schnucks

Foxy Mama requested a corsage, so the mom's will be getting some form of orchid wrist bling.

Image via Flowers by Chris

As for decor, we decided not to get any flowers specifically for the ceremony - partially because we will be (hopefully) having it outside (which takes care of living floral decor in my mind), and partially because it keeps costs down. The only other flowers we ordered were for the reception - four larger bouquets in mason jars for the four large round tables.


We also decided to get a few single, long stems of flowers (like dinnerplate dahlias and such) to sit at each food station.

Image via EventTagious

The main trick here was to keep this all in our budget. Foxy and I agreed to give the florist a price point of $550, and mentioned that we wanted to stay as close to that as possible. In the end, our flower budget will be closer to $800, but thanks to some monetary help from Foxy Mama and some ingenuity from our florist (that'd be Amanda's Florist, btw) on good flower substitutions, I think we are a-ok with the end result. Honestly, I'm just happy the ladies will have baby's breath bouquets. Total win.

Were you able to stay in budget with your wedding flowers (if you had any)? Since I'm a total novice at this, would you say $800 for our total cost sounds fair?

2 comments:

Jemima Kickypants said...

Love the mom corsage! Our florist bill was something like $1200 so I think you're getting a pretty good deal! I didn't have a floral budget because, like you, I had no idea what flowers were supposed to cost. After the fact, I realized our flowers were pretty well-priced, which makes your flowers even more well-priced!

Christiana said...

Hey Steph! I think the center flower is a white poppy?