Tuesday, February 14, 2012

High Tech Weddings

I feel like there's been a lot of talk about "unplugged" weddings lately - cameras down, little to no Facebook sharing, etc. There seems to be a turn towards yesteryear, towards leaving the media to the pros via a photographer and videographer and having guests leave the gadgets off, at home, or in their pockets.  Which I absolutely get.  But what about the other side of it? What about the super techy weddings?

I bring this up because it was a topic of conversation on a popular local radio station this morning - they mentioned techy wedding "trends" that I have never even fathomed being used, and it really got me thinking! What about that other side? Some up and coming trends, according to the talk show:

1. QR codes

First off, I had no freaking idea what they were talking about when they brought this up. In case you don't either, it's this:


Basically, you scan this funny looking image using a barcode/QR scanner app on your smartphone, which will then bring you to the website or information that it is attached to. As for the QR code above.. I made it in a snap using an online generator, and it links right to my Weddingbee blog! Pretty cool, right?!

As for how this relates to weddings, apparently some people are using this QR code idea to have guests RSVP as opposed to sending back a reply card; why use more paper and pay for stamps if they can just scan and RSVP? It's basically an updated (and possibly more confusing?) way of responding online.

Another way people are using these codes is to link directly to their online registries. Part of me thinks this is super neat, but part of me also wonders why you can't just write down a web address. I'm torn - what are your thoughts?

2. Next up is using Twitter for several different reasons. The first is to spread the word to guests and have them track the wedding day and try and get it trending - say, if someone takes a picture and posts it, they can simply add #foxywedding to the tweet. I've actually seen this done, and it is kind of cool; you just have to search #foxywedding later and see a whole assortment of different viewpoints of your big day! On the other hand, people may get a bit too obsessed and end up paying more attention to their phones than to the wonderful event happening around them.

The other way people are starting to use Twitter has to do with trending again, but more so to "earn" an invite. They need to complete tasks, tweet about the wedding, ideas, etc, in order to make it on to the guest list. I'm not sure exactly how this works or who is even doing it, but it all sounds a bit too My Super Sweet Sixteen for my taste. But hey, to each their own. It's definitely different!

Please understand that I'm just reiterating what I heard on the radio, and figured it must be a good conversation starter if it was a featured story. So I'm curious.. what do you think of all this? Are you using the QR codes or Twitter trends? Or are you sticking to a more tech-free wedding?

No comments: