Monday, February 20, 2012

The Color Paradox

It's no secret that turquoise/teal/any sort of combination of the two are my most favorite colors of all time. Hence, turquoise being the main color choice throughout the wedding (with subtle pops of orange creamsicle here and there, of course).

The thing is.. what is turquoise? When I first started planning, I had one specific color in mind.


Bam. Super turquoise.

But then when I was working with my graphic designer friend Michelle, we settled on the following color for a large chunk of the invites.


To add to it, when I started looking for brideslady dresses, the ones I loved most were oasis in color, which is color to a teal than a true turquoise - similar to the following.


My shoes are probably more frequently called a Tiffany Blue than anything else, akin to the next color.


And the list goes on and on. The fact is, the color of the invites does not exactly match the paint that I'm using for some picture frames, which doesn't exactly match the turquoise masons for our centerpieces, that doesn't match the little glass beads that will adorn the cocktail tables, that doesn't necessarily match the string I used for the bubble jars. That true turquoise up top? Really isn't even seen anywhere in my wedding decor at this point. Instead, the color has taken on a life of it's own, in a way, and there will be a whole bunch of different takes and shades of some mash of turquoise and teal.

::gasp::

You know what? I'm ok with it. I'm DIY'ing a lot of stuff, and it's virtually impossible to have everything be the same shade in that scenario. The colors are close enough, and I'm not going to stress myself over the fact that my turquoises don't match. Because I did for a hot minute, and it was silly. I don't see any of the colors as clashing too much, so we're all good. Oh, and don't get me started on the orange - there are just as many versions of that going on as well. It's awesome. And I'm not saying that sarcastically.

Are you having everything very matchy-matchy throughout your wedding, or are there some variations in the colors? Do you prefer one over the other?

5 comments:

Brittany said...

My wedding was the same way! I had hot pink and black, and I probably had 4 or 5 different pinks throughout. It all came together nicely though, as I'm sure yours will!

Carolyn said...

I actually like the idea that all the turquoises aren't the same! It'll look so much more "natural" I think! Can't wait to see your final results!!!!

Maria said...

I hear ya! I've gone thru so many palettes and bought so many things and now I'm like, "eh."

jacin {lovely little details} said...

i actually think multiple shades of turquoise will be even prettier than perfectly matching hues :)

Kira said...

Totally agree with Jacin, I honestly hate to see weddings that are SO matchy-matchy. I think your palette will look great!