Sunday, February 19, 2012

Bubbly? Don't mind if I do.

We are officially less than four months away from the wedding. Four months. Stupid.

Once I realized this, I realized that I miiiiight want to get started on the ever growing list of DIY projects I have. And what better place to start than with the bubbles?!

After an afternoon of tedious work, they are about 98% done and definitely ready to share! As a reminder, these were my inspirations:


Image via The Pretty Blog

After getting my massive shipment of glass jars the other week, the next step was to create labels. This was pretty easy - I bought clear, precut label paper from Staples, whipped up a quick design using a combo of Swift Publisher and Word, printed them out, and stuck 'em on.



Then came the bows - I got a bunch of the string that I used to use to make those awesome old school friendship bracelets in a light turquoise/aqua and pale peach. Then I simply tied them into little bows around the bottle necks, cut off the ends, and sealed the center knot with a bit of clear nail polish.



The final step (pre-bubble solution, that is) was the bubble wand. All DIY inspiration pictures I've seen have shown wands made out of pipe cleaners, so I went to it with some super sparkly ones from Michael's.


Making them was super easy - just cut each piece in half, loop it around your finger, twist the "tail" part around the longer piece, and center/reshape the circle a bit.



Ta-da!

I initially tried to tie the wands to the side of the bottles, but I quickly cursed the world and decided to just stick them in the bottles and will ultimately only fill the bubble solution about halfway, as to not completely soak the wand. Anyway. Time for the reveal!



I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I like them! I ended up running out of string for the bows after the first box, so I can't yet claim this DIY project done, but one more afternoon of a few Say Yes to the Dress reruns should have them done in no time.


Side note: I originally also wanted to spray the bottle caps a fun, glittery, turquoise.


See how sparkly the cap is?? So I went outside to get my glitter on, and.. nothing happened. The caps just ended up looking a bit wet. No glitter to be seen. I promptly got frustrated and declared this can of glitter utterly useless. To which Foxy replied "I'm surprised you would ever declare anything glitter as useless." Touché, Mr. Foxy. (But for the point of this project... useless.) So the caps remain silver, which I think works better anyway. DIY fail win!

Have you found that simpler sometimes equals better when it comes to projects and decorating?

5 comments:

Kira said...

So cute! Bummer that glitter spray didn't work but it looks great without it!

Jessica said...

I think they turned out great! Sorry the glitter didn't work though. :/

Carolyn said...

They're so cute!! :)

eliz said...

Wow great work. now the question...will the wand work? If so I may try to make these for my students!

Maria said...

So ridiculously cute!! When are you filling the jars with soap? I just don't all your hard work to go to waste and have the pipe cleaners rust or anything so I would suggest filling one and seeing how the wands hold up before filling them all.