Wednesday, April 18, 2012

On not being a bridezilla

Us ladies get a lot of shit from a lot of people about being or turning into the ever popular term bridezilla. This annoys me.

Image via Feministe

While it's true that some women can get a little.. over the top (I mean, hi, Bridezillas on WE tv was created for a reason).. that does not mean that every time someone gets a bit particular or focused on the details that they are automatically a bridezilla. It's just not fair.

What makes it even more unfair is that society tells us, as women, that we need to make our wedding day the best day of our lives. It needs to be perfect. Nothing else can compare. It's obviously the only thing we've been looking forward to since we were young. (You know.. or not.) But then, when we try and make it perfect not only for ourselves but for everyone else, we get called a royal bitch. A crazy person. A bridezilla.

In my own opinion, it's a part of society that is still very, very sexist towards women, but I won't get on my soapbox about that too much right now. The kicker is that it's usually us women who are the quickest to judge others when it comes to weddings. It's not true for everyone, of course, but I guarantee you a woman originally came up with the term bridezilla.

There's a great little article that was featured on BlogHer via Feministe a few years back that talks about the subject much more eloquently than I can. Below is just one excerpt that accurately expresses my own feelings on the subject:

"Not that I’m defending the bad behavior of some women in planning their weddings. Assholes are assholes, and there are a fair number of assholes who eventually get married and, unsurprisingly, act like assholes in the process. The ability to even freak out about your wedding is a function of socioeconomic and cultural privilege.


But when we get to the point where all we need as evidence that a woman is a selfish jerk who thinks of her wedding as Princess’s Special Day is the fact that she’s a woman, I think we’ve gone a little too far down Misogyny Lane."
Basically, people to calm their ish down. Yes, I am a perfectionist and very detail oriented, but no, I am not a bridezilla. Watch any of the three episodes with Brideszilla Karen, then talk to me (those episodes literally gave me nightmares).

What are your thoughts on the matter? Has anyone ever called you a bridezilla or even just alluded to it? Do you actually think you are one?

No comments: