Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Date: saved.

Somebody got a package in the mail the other day.


I wonder who it's from..?

Is that.. CatPrint? Did.. did I actually make a decision on something wedding related?


Holy moose, I did!

Folks, let me present to you.. version 1 of my Save the Date's!


As you can see, I didn't pick any of the options I previously threw out to you. Naturally.

In the end, I really liked the font on the postcard STD, but loved the concept of the block letter/photo STD. I was initially going to make the photos into a removable magnet photo strip, but that was too much work for my lazy butt. So I kind of mashed together a couple different ideas into one, and viola! A Save the Date card.

Now I did run into a few issues along the way.

First off - I checked, double checked, and triple checked the cards to make sure all the information was right and there were no typos. I reviewed my order on CatPrint before I clicked "submit", and made sure to order a hard copy proof of the card before they produced and sent the full order.

Literally no more than 10 minutes passed before I realized that I entered the wrong card size when ordering. I intended for them to be 5" wide by 3.5" tall so they would be a perfect fit for an 4 bar envelope (5.125" wide by 3.625" high). Being the ditz that I am, I ordered them to be 5" wide by 3" tall. 

I really can be an idiot sometimes. So I emailed the company right away and asked if they could change the size before they sent the proof. I received a quick reply saying that they would make the changes, but that the actual PDF I sent needed to be adjusted as well. Apparently, since I selected a full-bleed print, some of the words and pictures were being cut off. I needed to send another PDF with a larger canvas size in order to leave a white border around the image so that information wouldn't be cut off. About ten emails later, I thought I finally had it right.

I got the first hard proof copy a few days later.


Now I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice or care, but they never changed the card size, leaving the pictures and the text to be stretched out. You can tell more when you put the right sized card next to the wrong sized one.


See how the bottom one is all stretched out due to the card being a half inch shorter? (Say yes.) Once again, I promptly emailed CatPrint and they sent me a new, appropriate sized card, free of charge. Huzzah!

However.

See how in all the pictures of the cards that there's a white border around the whole thing?

I didn't want that. I wanted the edges of the card to be flush with the sides of the photos, and just skimming the "Save" and website parts, like so:


For a reason unbeknownst to me, CatPrint wasn't able to trim it that way. In the end, it's absolutely fine, it just means that me and my paper cutter need to make amends before I go cropping all 85 of these bad boys down to size. More work and such.

So.. all in all.. what do you think?! Minus the blurring for obvious reasons, I don't think they come out half bad! Now to cut, assemble, address the envelopes, and possibly add a little sumthin' sumthin' extra...

muahahahaha

7 comments:

Hannah said...

HAHA. We had a STD SNAFU when I ordered the wrong size and didn't realize it until they arrived! We still have mini STDs all over the house!

Maria said...

Daggone it Steph! Way to be on top of things while I'm behind on the curve! haha No but seriously, they're cute! But now I really do have to finish designing them :P

Amy said...

YAY!!! I love them! what's the little sumthin' sumthin' extra??

Tracy said...

These look great and I'm so jealous you're done with them!

steph c said...

Tracy.. not done QUITE yet.. I still don't have everyone's addresses for the envelopes :x Still trying to wrangle 'em up!

Jemima Kickypants said...

They're so sweet!!! Congrats on getting such a huge step out of the way. CatPrint sounds pretty great, I think the quality is pretty spectacular. The only comment I have is that with all the mail processing and the stamps and barcodes they put on postcards, maybe the white space is good so those stamps and ink won't get all over your important info.
?

Jessica said...

They look awesome! You're way ahead of the game girl. :)