Thursday, August 11, 2011

Prettying up a package

I've never loved my ruler so much.
That's my handy Publisher work right there.

One of the issues regarding my Save the Dates (and invites, for that matter) is the actual size. When I go about designing things on the computer, I tend to disregard measurements and proportions and such; hence, I end up with a 7x7 design coming out of my printer when I meant for it to be 4x4, or visa-versa (that zoom function is tricky). You get the idea.

Honestly, I initially didn't care what size some things ended up being. But then I realized that I need to put all of these paper goods into envelopes and stamp them.

A funky size STD/invite = a funky, custom sized envelope = lots o' monies.

Dear lord, I wish.

Enter: my ruler and my paper cutter. I LOVE those things right now.

While a lot of what I'm doing is trial and error - designing, printing, cutting, resizing - it's also based on what size envelopes I can (affordably) buy. I've heard it a million times in the wedding world and I will definitely reiterate it: make sure you choose/have the envelopes BEFORE you go designing and ordering any paper products. Wedding rule number 12, fyi.

All well and good. My initial plan was to use a good old belly band to hold together my invite, RSVP card, and possibly the website card as well. All I would need to buy is an envelope for the RSVP's, and another one for the whole invite package itself.


Image via Kaboodle | Image via Project Wedding by DK Designs

And then.. I fell in love with vellum envelopes.


Image via Elizabeth Anne Designs | Image via Mrs. Gloss!

They just look so.. sexy. I especially love the idea and the look of Mrs. Gloss's invites.. to have one regular envelope, with all the invite pieces further contained in a vellum envelope. (I also kind of love how she did a twine "belly band" too.. why pick just one?!)

So of course, using a vellum envelope would bring us up to a grand total of 3 envelopes, each one slightly bigger than then next so they all fit inside each other. And probably increased postage, too. Oh, and did I mention our invites will be square? Well they will be. And for some reason, square envelopes cost more.

It's funny (read: dumb) how all these little things add up, cost wise - the trick is to keep it DIY and still as economical as possible. I have yet to calculate and compare price points, but I still keep seeing those silly little dollar signs.

How did you assemble your invites? Did you go for cost, practicality, maybe a nice combo?

4 comments:

k... said...

I LOVE vellum! I'm always trying to figure out a way to use it. I haven't worked it into the wedding yet. Boo!

Jessica said...

I went with super simple one sided invites with just an RSVP card and still ended up using three envelopes. LOL. I'm glad I hadn't seen that second picture because I'm in love with the look of the vellum. It gets my vote.

Jemima Kickypants said...

I feel for you on the invitation front. I am super anal, so I had to measure everything a billion times, print it out, cut it just right, measure some more, go online and look for envelopes, repeat. And yeah, I think it's injustice that square costs more, so I'm sorry for that, I went regular A7 because I was being cheap like that. I LOVE the vellum envelopes as well, and I agree with you, why choose between belly bands? Whoever said you could have too many belly bands?? Good luck with finishing up your invites! My invitation construction is going to be underway soon! I'm a little scared.

Anonymous said...

I have to tell myself with these paper projects, that most of them will be thrown in the trash. That's how I'm staying grounded.