However, we all know I've been planning since the moment Scot and I got engaged. I always got mad at those fun little checklists in the wedding magazines because they only tell you what to do starting a year out from the wedding.. what about us cool folks who are engaged for over 2 years?? What are WE supposed to do?!
My solution was to plan as if I was getting married next month. It's amusing to me how much I got done in just the first two months of being engaged. Let's take a peek at what I have done already, a bit more than a year out from the wedding, shall we?
((For everyone's sake, I'll just go up to what should be done up to 6 months out.))
12 months
>Decide on a budget, and agree on who's going to pay for what. Done. Budget is higher than anticipated, but we are paying for everything. Minus the wedding dress (thanks mom!).
>Think about the big picture - the wedding's style, size, date, and site. Once we found the site, I had the style. And we had the date the night we got engaged. I might be slightly OCD.
>Mail save-the-date cards if you need them. Are you really supposed to do this a year out?? I actually need to get on this one.
>Reserve the ceremony and reception venues. DONE. Two years in advance, yo.
>Start looking at dresses in magazines and on websites. Well duh. I started and finished 18 months out.
10 months
>Start scouting for a caterer, florist, photographer, and DJ or band. Consider them scouted.
>Select your officiant. One thing I haven't done yet. I have ideas, but am nervous to ask!
>Choose your attendants. Again, did this the night I got engaged.. 26 months out. I didn't know you were supposed to 'formally' ask with cookies and cards and cute poems and all that. Oh well. They got a phone call and heard my lovely voice.
>Begin compiling the guest list. Pretty much done with this. We really just keep adding new friends we make.
>Hire a wedding planner, if needed. Psh. I'm my own wedding planner.
8 months
>Book the caterer, florist, photographer, and DJ or band; adjust your budget after getting estimates. Consider budget adjusted. Catering comes with the venue, got our photog 20 months out, DJ 24 months out. Just need those pesky flowers.
>Create a wedding website. Did this pretty much right away. Created about 5 through various sites then decided I'd make my own.
>Order your dress. Did this 18 months out. Wham bam thank you ma'am.
6 months
>Meet with vendors to plan details. Half and half.
>Register for gifts. Haven't yet but OMG I can't wait!
>Order the invitations, or start DIYing them. So our friend
>Shop for the bridesmaids' outfits. I've been looking online obsessively.. does that count?
>Order the wedding rings. Admittedly haven't done this yet but will probably in the next few months.
>Research and book the honeymoon. If we GO on a honeymoon. Don't get me started.
>Reserve and transportation you need. Staying at the venue. We like making life easy.
So all in all.. we're kind of solid up to the 6 month mark, and have been since about the 18 month mark. Super awesome.
Who else is a super planner? And.. again.. am I really supposed to send my STD's (hah) out a year in advance?!

10 comments:
Oh em GEE!!!! Sorry but yes I've been super planning for awhile now. We were 16 monthers so I got right on everything and I'm now amazed at how little there is left to do with six months left!
Also thanks for your comments! My fiance also wants to see bridesmaids with me. Hello its Judd Apatow!
This is very important: listening? I'm just sending out my save the dates now at six months. This really depends on if it's a major holiday or destination and you need to give people lots of time to plan. If it's not destination or, like, on Christmas day then six months is totally fine!
I was totally where you are! Started planning the minute we were engaged. All having fun! Congrats on almost a year!!!
That one year mark is huge! That's when people stop calling you crazy for planning a wedding over 2 years in advance. That's when those checklists finally catch up with you. That's when it starts to get a more real. Congrats on being a super planner!!!!!
I think that a year is too far in advance. Most places I've seen say that STDs should be sent out 6 to 8 months in advance. I sent mine out with 7 months to go. :)
hahahah I always thought my ideal engagement would be 1.5 years, but I'm a super planner too, and I could do it in a year. I think I'd just want to have that I'm engaged feeling for many months... but since I'm back to square 1 on finding this guy... I'll just focus on that for now!
I did all my planning really early too! :) I will tell you you're going to have this awkward limbo land time where you want to plan and get more stuff done, but you can't. It sucks, but it passes. LOL
I sent my STDs (such a funny abbreviation) in February and our wedding is in September.
Wow girl! You are ahead of the game...which is awesome! We'll be engaged for a total of 14 months, and I am psycho about planning things early! GOOD FOR YOU! :) Also, about the Save the Dates, you should send them 6-8 months ahead of time (7-8 months if you have a lot of out-of-towners).
I'm excited to follow along in your progress!
You are a MACHINE!!
Girl, you are going to be SO golden by the time you're at the 1 month/1 week mark. I wouldn't send STDs til 8 or so months out, depending on how many OOT guests you're expecting.
YAY weddings!!
I am totally a super planner too. This is a great little checklist. You definitely don't need to do those a year out though. I plan on doing them about 9-10 months out
You are on the ball woman! Awesome!
I didn't know that people sent little cards etc. for their attendants, I asked my sister and BFF the night we got engaged. Done deal.
Dang girl! You are on top of your stuff!!! That's awesome! You have more done than me and I am a month away!!! Kidding... Haha. And no... Six MONTHS is totally good enough for the save the dates! People might forget who you are in a year... much less the date! ;)
Post a Comment