This is pretty much exactly what I imagine.
Image via Lovely Little Details.
Cons: everyone and their mother gets married then.
That's a loooot of brides.
Image via Team Wedding
Honestly, I should have seen this coming when we decided on a June wedding. In the 26 months that we will have been engaged, loads of friends have also gotten (and will be getting) engaged. And they also have their eye on getting married around the same time that we will.
Which, on one hand, is awesome! I have more and more people to share wedding stories and inspirations with, and we're in this fun lovey-dovey "I'm engaged!" mentality where it's all rainbows and butterflies (most of the time). Huzzah!
However, things are starting to overlap, and I am not a fan.
It's not just because we'll be busy with planning our own wedding and such, but I also really want my friends to be able to attend ours, and I want to be able to attend theirs.
I already knew my friend/brideslady M would be getting married a few weeks before us. I've mentioned before that we kind of scheduled our wedding around hers, so that's no biggie. But I've also learned that a friend of a friend, who has become an acquaintance of mine as well (confused yet?), scheduled her wedding for literally the day after ours. So not only can't her and her fiancé come to our wedding, as I had hoped.. there's a strong possibility a few mutual friends will have to choose one or the other. Especially the friend I met her through, seeing as she will be a bridesmaid of the other girl. So there's that.
Image via I Can Has Cheezburger
Also, a good friend from my old job recently got engaged (last weekend!), and they were originally thinking a fall wedding.. but since this fall is here and next fall is so far away, they are currently opting for early June. So that's.. four weddings in three weeks-ish?
I really don't mean for this to come of as though I'm big snot ball and everyone should drop everything for our wedding. Because I don't think that at all. I really just want to have our friends celebrate our marriage with us and be able to do the same for them. I've made so many wonderful friends here in DC - something I really didn't know would happen when I first moved down - and I want to include them in our big day as much as possible.
I suppose it's true what they say - we're at that age where many of our friends are getting married, and it goes in cycles. We had 5 weddings to go to in the spring and summer of 2010, none in 2011, and now an undetermined (but greater than 4) weddings already planned for next spring and summer. Nuts.
Have you or are you experiencing any kind of wedding overlap and overload around your date??



9 comments:
I think your feelings are totally normal and natural. And it sucks. :( We didn't have any overlap, but I suspect I would have reacted the same as you if it had happened.
In this sense... I'm kind of glad I'm one of those "few close friends" kind of people. I have a lot of acquaintances and "friends" but they're not go to their wedding friends.
I'm still young enough that this craziness hasn't happened, but it's going to soon enough. I know a lot of people who are getting/got married around my age, and that's just insane.
I completely get your frustrations, and the wedding the day after yours thing is not fair at all. Hopefully most of your both friends will at least come for part of yours... and if not, at least you'll save some money? (the bright side to everything?)
I get your frustrations 100%. We got married June 26 and it sucked because some of our good friends couldn't make it because "they had summer vacation plans" already planned. Ugh. But, as Em said, these feelings are natural. The day of the wedding you will be so happy to have the friends and family there with you that all the bad feelings will fly out the window!
I don't think you're being selfish, I have often hoped in my head that when I heard that a friend was getting married that it wouldn't be at the same time as us. I even panicked for awhile before the royals announced their wedding date. June is huge for weddings, it's just the way it is, but in the end, you picked it because you know you're going to love it. You'll look back on it and love the sun and the warmth and all the pretty colors, and whoever can't be there, it'll suck, but at least the ones who really REALLY matter will be with you on that day.
June bride here! There are 5, count 'em FIVE, people I know who are getting marred on the exact same day as us. One friend is getting married the weekend before and one is getting married the weekend after. Honestly, I've let it go and I'm okay with it. The fact is: you'll never be able to pick a day that no one else is getting married on. Plan ahead, send your Save the Dates and invites before they do, and accept the fact that the people who truly love you will be at your day no matter what! :-)
-miss puppy love
Don't worry I'll still be single and unengaged so you will have my undivided attention. There's gonna be Stoli right?? :) xoxo
I had a good friend who got married right before me and she couldn't make it to our destination wedding. It's a bummer when it happens so I hope it all works out for you. :/
I don't think you should feel bad about it at all! You just are wanting to celebrate with the most special people in your life!
your newest follower...stop by sometimes...you have to make your wedding special no matter who is there or not there..as long as your groom shows up..
Post a Comment