Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ess Tee Dee's

That's the most creative I can be with a title for the first of what I'm sure will be 473982 posts about save the date's, or as us bee's like to refer to them, STD's. And yes, like most people, that still cracks me up. They really need to give you a manual before you start delving into the whole online wedding world.. I was severely confused with all the acronyms here on Weddingbee for a good two weeks when I first started reading.

Anyway, you should all know by now that I'm a planner. When I first started seriously thinking about the save the date's, we still had 18 months until the wedding, at which point we also already had a venue, invites, preliminary guest list, dj, possible photog, and my dress. #overachiever

I quickly came to the conclusion that we MUST have save the date's, 1. because I like making pretty things, and 2. because 99% of our guests are out-of-towners, coming from Philly and various parts of New York. And I was determined for them to be a DIY.

At first I was thinking about doing something with a Scrabble board:

sorry about the blurring!

It's cute in theory but it just looks a little all over the place in reality, at least in my eyes. It would be more in depth than what the picture shows and on the classic board, of course, but still. I'm vain and want our picture on it somewhere. And while we bust out Scrabble weekly and it's definitely "us", it just doesn't fit with what I'm envisioning.

So.. scratch the Scrabble.

Then I thought maybe I could do something with our engagement photos..


...and I quickly realized that I was doing a terrible job at designing them. Don't laugh at how bad these are. They're also kind of boring, and I want something more FUN. Granted I was just messing around for a few minutes to see what I could whip up, but I really want something more us.

So my current (genius) idea is inspired by photo strips.. you know the ones you can get at the mall or some restaurants that are (usually) black and white and you have four vertical frames to fill with shenanigans?


I've seen other couples do something like this for their STD's. I think it's so much fun! I would set up my Mac and take a couple pictures of us, most likely holding hand-made signs saying "save" "the" "date" "6.xx.2012", using one for each frame. After printing, I'd adhere them to some magnet tape and cut them out, so everyone would get a photo strip magnet!!

I don't know why this excites me so much, but it does. Mr. Foxy and I had a mini photo shoot a few months ago using said method of picture taking, so here's a basic idea (sans hand-made signs) of where my mind is off to:


Sorry about the faces. Still not sure why we felt compelled to take a bunch of crazy pictures of ourselves. But you get the idea.

So.. thoughts? What did you do or what are your plans for STD's?

6 comments:

Amy said...

I love the photo booth idea, and I also love the Scrabble idea.... so here's an idea...

Do photo booth photos and use Scrabble letters, you could make some out of cardboard and hold them up on the signs, or go all out and do them with wood?

It's so important to include YOU in your wedding - this is a thing I stumbled on MONTHS ago, and I really want to do something like this. http://blog.lemonlimephoto.com/2009/08/17/more-from-jessica-tad/ It's more invite really... but I love the story idea.

P.S. I realize I'm not engaged and I comment on all wedding stuff - but I'm a Bridezilla Planamaniac just waiting to be unleashed, so I'll unleash it on your in the meantime :)

steph c said...

I'm just happy people are willing to listen to me go on and on about the wedding, lol! And I totally thought about our wedding before we were engaged.. I think it's imprinted in women's genes or something ;)

Also.. such a cute idea with the letters! Now we all know what my next attempted DIY project will be :))

Jessica said...

I like the Scrabble board idea! What if you laid a picture of the two of you on the board too and took a picture? Then cropped it close, and added a border?

Your designs look great BTW! You're too hard on yourself girl, whatever way you go, they'll be great. :)

steph c said...

Thanks Jessica ;) I get bothered because I used to seriously be good at graphic design related things, and I am no where near the level I was back then, it's sad. But I'm intrigued by your Scrabbly board idea, thanks!

Maria said...

#1, I actually really like the look of that new scrabble board
#2, I was sooo confused too when I first started obsessing over WeddingBee. I was like whats FI, DH, FBIL, etc, etc!
#3, Eep, if you're 18 months away, that means I've only 17 months..and I haven't done a darn thing except buy shoes! Hahaha! Glad I have you and the rest of the gang to help make decisions!

Mich said...

I still laugh when I see STD--it's so weird. I like the photostrip idea! You did an amazing job!

If you want to keep playing around with the pics you can see if you could incorporate the scrabble board into them, like maybe for the date?