Anyway.. yes. I have two maids of honor. This wasn't my intention at the beginning - I knew I would likely need to choose between bestie Blondie and bestie Copper.
Both of these ladies are people that I hold extremely near and dear to my heart. Copper and I met on the middle school dance team, so we go way back. Come high school, we became nearly inseparable. As for Blondie, she and I met freshman year of college thanks to being in the same level ballet class. Even though she is more of a "recent" friend in comparison to Copper, her and I quickly became best friends, and it's stayed that way for the past 8 years or so.
I think my story is similar to a lot of people's - you have a best friend from high school or from home, but then you leave for college or a job or whatever. You find yourself occasionally losing touch with those friends from home, and you make new friends. You grow, you mature, you change.. it's a natural part of life.
While Copper and I tend to go through phases where we won't talk to each other for a long time, we have the kind of friendship where we can just pick up right where we left off weeks, months, years ago. What helps is that - despite where we are in life or what we're doing at the time - at the core, we're extremely similar. Our personalities both mesh well yet also compliment each other.
We also share a mutual love for Mr. Potter.
I've also noticed that, as the wedding gets closer, I grow more and more nostalgic about mine and Copper's friendship. We've been talking and seeing each other more over these past few months, and it makes me absolutely hate the fact that she's several states and several hours away. This girl is going to be in my life for a long, long time - of that I'm sure - but I hate that it has to be so long-distance and occasionally sporadic. She's totes my bffaetddup to the max. (Anyone? No? Just us?)
On the other hand, there's Blondie and I. While the two of us have our differences in personalities and opinions, we just seem to work. I can't even put my finger on it - we may not agree on everything, but when we're together, we always have fun. My best analogy is that she's almost like the sister I never had. She's one of my best dancer friends (and let's be real, us dancers can have some weird thought processes sometimes) and she just kind of gets me. Even after college and with two states between us, we still keep in touch fairly regularly.
Yep. We've perfected the duck face. Don't hate.
Either way, when Foxy and I got engaged, it all came down to the fact that I love both of these ladies incredible amounts, and I'm a terrible decision maker. That, and I really didn't want to have to choose.
And so, twenty six months ago, I asked both Blondie and Copper to be my maid of honors. I'll be honest - two years out is a long time to ask that of someone. There have been times when I haven't kept in touch with either one, when there was some possible tension between all parties involved, etcetera and so forth. There have been questions posed, like who will ultimately stand next to me when we get married? Will both give a toast, or just one? Who's going to spend the night before the wedding with me, and listen to me squeal/cry/stress/get excited? All of which we have found answers to, but not without with a bit of thought involved. It can get a bit tricky, but for me, it's worth it in the end.
And as the day gets closer and closer, I grow more confident in my decision to have both of them stand by my side on mine and Foxy's wedding day. Could I have chosen just one? Maybe. Could I have just scraped the idea and had no maid of honor whatsoever? Sure. But both Copper and Blondie have had such impacts on my life - I honestly wouldn't be who I am today without them there. It's only natural that they both have a special place in both my heart and in the wedding party.
What about you? Did you have more than one maid of honor, or none at all? Was the process of choosing someone difficult for you?



1 comment:
I love this post. I, too, will be having two MOHs because I just wasn't able to choose. I literally am in the same situation as you, one friend from my childhood and one from college that has been attached to my hip for a few years now. There was no way I could choose! I decided who could stand beside me fairly easily, but I'm still up in the air about toasting... We'll see. Thankfully, I still have 11 months to decide :)
Post a Comment