Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Registry #fail

Back at Thanksgiving, Foxy Mama was meandering around the kitchen looking for something she clearly could not find. She then stopped, looked at Foxy and I, and said "You really need a shower". I kid you not.

A few choice comments later, it turns out she meant that I needed a bridal shower. I was also urged to get off my lazy bum and actually register for things so that she could indeed throw me said shower. While I've been thinking about registering for pretty new things since the day we got engaged, it eventually became one of those things that I kept putting off, thinking it was too early to do so. And then I realized we only had five months left. Best get on that registering, no?

So this past Monday, Foxy and I headed out to Bed Bath & Beyond, seeing as it's the one store we both absolutely adore and literally want everything from. Will we register at other stores? I say maybe. Foxy says maybe not. Our loyalty to that store runs deep, yo.

Anyway, once we got to BBB, we had to fill out some forms before getting our fun little scanner gun.


I've heard from other folks that BBB is notorious for having a sales associate go around the store with you while you register, but for a brief second, I thought we were in the clear. I prefer to do things independently, especially when I need to meander and think and am not exactly sure what I'm even looking for. Foxy and I started to make our way towards the dinnerware on our own.. and then James entered the picture.

Now don't get me wrong, James was a very nice guy and did prove to be very accommodating in helping us choose what toaster and coffee pot we wanted. But he also gave us a half hour speech on a soda making machine thingy that we had no interest in. I know way too much about what piercings he has and used to have. I know that he apparently makes a delicious spicy cornbread with jalapeƱos for his entire family at Christmastime. I know that he gets an obnoxious discount on things from BBB that kind of made me hate him a little.

I digress.

Despite everything, James is actually a very good salesman - he pointed us towards all of this insanely pricey stuff without us even noticing. Once he talked something up enough and we decided we just had to have it, Foxy would scan it in.


Not until after the scan would we realize what we just registered for. Example: we apparently registered for $200 sheets. Yes, you read that right. According to James, they are the "Underarmor of sheets," and regardless of how amazingly soft they are and how much I can see myself sleeping not in my bed, but in heaven, I'm pretty sure we need to remove them from the list. Or keep them on and see if some sucker buys 'em for us. Either way.

We also managed to register for two decorative pillows that come in at $50 each, when we don't even use decorative pillows. Other prizewinners on our list include travel sized luggage for $230 a pop and a bathmat made out of memory foam for $70. I mean.. really?! Who needs that?? (We do, apparently.)

Needless to say, our registry list needs some pruning and readjusting. We'll also be doing the remainder of our registering online, from the comfort of our own home, sans James (sorry, buddy).

The trip wasn't a total bust, though - we were able to register for some really shnazzy place settings (at a reasonable price, too!)!


I'm dreaming of the day when I can set my table to look this good. Speaking of which.. is it appropriate to register for a dining room table? Because we kind of don't have one. But that's neither here nor there. ;)

What was your first registry experience like? Did anything a little crazy end up on there (like.. I don't know.. $200 sheets)?

3 comments:

Jemima Kickypants said...

Numero uno, screw going to the store, we did our registries ENTIRELY from the computer. Number 2, also in love with BBB and it gets better, they replace broken stuff, they let you complete your registry at 20% off, they're awesome. Number 3, we had TWO sets of $200 sheets on our registry. Yes, we got both... yes, you need them! Number 4? Yeah, we also registered for a dining room table, but we didn't get it :( So, just in case, go ahead and put it on there, you never know. As far as I know, there's no etiquette against it. We also did Crate and Barrel but I prefer BBB. Good luck!!

eliz said...

Oh wow my BBB experience was not like this...the guy followed us for just a few minutes but he never tried to convince us to scan things. Well the best part is you can switch things online! As soon as I got home I started switching things hahaha.

EmilyB said...

Oh, James. :)

I hated everything about registering. It was just annoying to me for some reason. We didn't have anyone following us, luckily, but I was just so not into it. Josh had fun, though. :) Definitely finish up online. Oh, and register at Crate and Barrel, too. Love their serving stuff.