Thursday, January 13, 2011

Loofah?

Guess what?? I made my first puffball!

Yes, this was around Christmas. Hence the ornaments.

So, it kind of looks more like a really large, lopsided, blue loofah...


...but that's ok. It was my first one.

And there's a good chance it may be my last.

I've recently become obsessed with these loofahs tissue paper puff balls (or pom poms, whatever), and am seriously torn if I'd rather have lots of them at our venue instead of paper lanterns, which was my first instinct. Are they seen all over the wedding world right now? Yes. But I'm pretty sure there's a reason for that. Like.. because they're gorgeous.

I mean, just take a look!

They make me giddy just looking at them!

All images via Martha Stewart Crafts
Top row: Image thru FutureGirl  |  Image thru Kollewin
Bottom: Image thru FutureGirl

I originally figured this would be a perfect chance for me to get all DIY and show some tissue paper who's boss. It could be a cost effective way to get chic, simple decor, right? And it's not like I'm short on time or anything.

However.. after making the one, I'm not sure it's worth it for me to make all of them. I'm all for DIY, but I'm also lazy. Especially when I have a bunch of other DIY projects going on/in planning stages. A much simpler (albeit pricier) solution would be to just scour Etsy - there are tons of sellers like Prost to the Host that offer the poms in all different sizes and colors. All I would need to do is depuff them a day or two before the wedding!

So there's my dilemma: to DIY pom, or not to DIY pom. WWtHD (what would the hive do)?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yours look great! I fail everytime I try to do this!!!

lul said...

DIY for sure girl! This is some good stuff!

Jessica said...

I would give it a couple more shots, I think you'll like how they turn out! Then, worst case scenario, order away. :D

jacin {lovely little details} said...

i think we know what i will say :)

but your DIY ones look AWESOME!!!!

Mich said...

Is that your first puff? If it is, then try it again! You did a great job, I bet it will be easier and faster the next time! And have you checked out papermart for the tissue?

Saying I do said...

Def, try again and see if it gets better...but there's nothing wrong with ordering them from Etsy to get what you want!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I don't know what planet I've been living on, but I didn't know you started a wedding blog! Gah! Squee! Def. following!!!!

PS- I think the poms are for sure fun...I couldn't DIY them, that's for sure!

steph c said...

Ok, you've all convinced me to try again.

@Mich Never heard of (or tried) Papersmart.. I'll def check it out! Would be great if they had multiple tissue paper selections :)

@Miss Puppy Love Hooray for finding my wedding blog!! Welcome!!

Tiffany said...

DIY all the way, don't give it up. You'll get the hang of and be a pro in no time.

Christina said...

I fail hardcore at DIY, so while I wanted these, I knew I was going to have to buy. I ended up buying them off of a Bee!

I love how they look, so I would def keep trying... practice makes perfect, right?! :)

Amy said...

How did I miss this?

I would order them if I couldn't get the hang of it by trial 3 or 4...because sometimes they're just cheaper to order. If you get the hang of them, just make all the smaller ones and order the big ones off Etsy.