Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Das Friendymoon: Adventures!

If we're being completely honest, I was kind of surprised Foxy agreed to go to Mexico for our little post-wedding vacation. See, the man kind of hates all things hot, sunny, and beachy.. which are typically the first three words that come to my head when I think of Mexico. One thing I've learned over the past few years, though, is that he's a man of action. As long as he's occupied and doing something, he's typically ok regardless of the place or setting. I, on the other hand, am pretty go-with-the-flow and am happy just sitting on the beach *or* hiking up a mountain. Lazy or active, I'll take it if it means I'm on vacation!

I'd like to say that we fit a little bit of everything into our trip - which we totally did - but it was definitely heavy on the relaxation side. I blame it on tropical storm Debby that decided to literally rain on our parade. Debby Downer, if you will.


We all knew that we were going in the middle of hurricane season, but it really rained a lot. Not only did it downpour almost every night, but we lost a good two to three days of sun and adventures due to the nasty weather. It even took Bunny Love by surprise - she's gone down to Playa during this time of year at least a dozen times and said it has never been so crappy out as it was this past June. Ah, well. We managed to keep ourselves relatively entertained at the house for a bit.. but we were definitely feeling a bit of cabin fever after day one!

So what else to do but take to the streets and traipse around town during the day.. a little rain never hurt anyone, right?!

Well, maybe H-girl.

And at night, we went to the bar (well, just one night, really).

Foxy and I.. seconds before the evening downpour started.

Bunny Love in front, with her boyfriend and niece.

H-girl and I-man.

On the second gloomy day, the rain was a bit touch and go. We decided to see if we could outrun it by heading south to Tulum, which worked out well for a couple hours. We figured our best bet was to hit up Gran Cenote (seh-no-tay) - part of a large system of underwater caves that you can snorkel (or scuba) around in - perfect for a slightly gloomy day.  I was smart enough to ask to borrow my dad's sporty underwater camera before we left, so we got a few fun pictures of our time there!









Unfortunately, the lack of sun and on-and-off rain made it pretty chilly. It also made my lips turn a lovely shade of bluish purple for the next two hours.


Blue lips aside, it was a super fun time for a relatively crappy day!

Once the nicer weather finally decided to grace us with its presence, we headed out to place that we had been itching to go to since day one: Xel-Há!


The best way to describe Xel-Há is that it's like a natural water park - there was a lazy river, cliff jumping, snorkeling, water zip lining, etcetera and so forth. Oh, and it was also our one day of all-inclusive food and drink. So good.


The crew at the start of the lazy river!





Chimp jumping off the cliff!


We also have some pictures of us snorkeling, but they're on a film camera and need to be developed and I'm lazy.. so yea. Imagine some pretty fish underwater.

Image via Rotten Tomatoes

So.. what did we do when we finally had some uplanned warm, sunny, perfect weather days? Why, the beach, of course!!

Probably my favorite picture of Foxy. Ever.

The ladies.



Some beach-side noms.

We also spent one real (and incredibly windy) night out on the town, with a delicious Italian dinner followed by some drinks and dancing at a place called Blue Parrot (Foxy left after dinner.. he's not exactly a dancing type of guy)!




I, on the other hand, surely love me some dancing. No shame. Ever.

So all in all.. there were definitely some good times had by all, despite the rainy weather! What have been some of your favorite things to do on vacation?

3 comments:

Christi said...

Love the pictures! Looks like you guys had a blast! :)

Jessica said...

Hate the weather was crappy but it sounds like you guys made the best of it!

eliz said...

hahah great lazy river...:-) Vacations with friends is the best!