Tuesday, July 3, 2012

That that, airline industry.


I hate packing. By packing, I mean jamming-your-life-into-a-small-carry-on-suitcase-for-a-seven-day-trip-but-you're-a-girl-so-you-need-options kind of packing. It's hard, yo.

And so, the night before we left for Mexico, I stared down at my massive assortment of clothes that I wanted (needed) to bring, severely doubting my ability to smush it all into a carry-on suitcase.


Now I'm not a terrible packer - I generally take pride in my packing skills passed down to me from my mom and Grampy J (they've got it DOWN). However, I tend to overpack, and end up with a big pile of clothes that I never even touch while on vacation. Every. Time.

Hey.. a girl needs options, right?

But I just couldn't do that for the upcoming trip to Mexico for two reasons:
1. We had layovers in both directions, and I never trust the airlines to not lose my bag or get it there on time.
2. It costs like $75789 just to check one bag. I don't exaggerate.

So, I needed to figure out how to consolidate, be decisive, and pack for a 7 day trip in a bag that I would normally just put tons of shoes and flip flops in.

Sad but true.

Fortunately, I got some experience with this last year when I went to Mexico with brideslady Bunny Love. Back then, I turned to my trusty friend Google, literally searched "how to pack a carry-on to Mexico", and came across this little gem called 10 Days in a Carry-On, written by a flight attendant.

You guys, it's dumb how revolutionary this article was to me. The woman was able to pack shoes, clothes, accessories, etc for a five or six day trip into a little, tiny suitcase. Want to know the secret??


Basically, instead of folding everything, you roll it up! (Not like that's so evident from my picture.. I'm a terrible roller, apparently.)

The other key is to pack the shoes on the bottom, then the bulkier, heavy fabric clothes, then the lighter fabric clothes.


I kind of forgot about my flip flops, so they just went on top.


 You then top it off with the extras, like toiletries, a brush, a bag, etc. Since I decided to bring these in my second carryon, I substituted the "extras" for an obscene amount of bikinis. And then... ta-da! It somehow all seemed to fit, and it even closed without me having to sit on it for an hour! (Not like I've done that before.) (Ok I have.)


 The coolest part of the article was when the author repacked her things in a more "traditional" manner, which I decided to as well.. just to see what the difference would be.


Yeaaa.. not fitting. At all. (And I promise I really did try to make it fit!)

Needless to say, I can totally vouch that this roll-up method works like a charm. I was able to (over)pack:

1 pair of heels
1 pair of sneakers (never wore them)
3 pairs of flip flops (only wore one pair)
6 dresses (never wore 4 of them)
6 pairs of shorts (never wore 3 of them)
4 t-shirts (never wore 2 of them)
8 tank tops (actually wore almost all of them)
3 sweaters (never wore any of them)
1 robe (never wore it)
1 pair of jeans (wore on the way there)
1 pair of leggings (wore on the way back)
a straw fedora
several undergarments
8 bathing suits (only wore 4 of them)

..and still probably could have fit another dress or two!

Or, you know, a cat, like I was able to last year. ;)


Anyone have any other fun packing tricks?

3 comments:

Amy said...

yayyy soooo close!

Welp, I'm learning living out of a backpack very quickly, and I obviously use the rolling option all the time since you posted this on your original blog. I love only bringing a carryon whenever I go places because you don't have to wait for bags.

My biggest packing tricks are accessories! I always pack plenty of light scarves, earrings, belts, jewelry, etc.

The good thing about going hot places is that you can pack 2-3 bathers and a ton of dresses and still have a lot of room.

I now have to pack for 3 days in Barcelona and 3 days in Paris in a backpack, so wish me luck also!! hahah

Enjoy your honeymoon, and early congratulations for this weekend Mrs. Missy! xoxo

eliz said...

Thank you thank you for posting this...I am starting to pack for Italy today...and I been trying to figure how to pack light...:-)

Tina said...

Are you going to bring the cat too? lol